American woman arrested for pepper spraying cops, firemen in Mont Kiara

American woman arrested for pepper spraying cops, firemen in Mont Kiara

KUALA LUMPUR: A 42-year-old American woman was arrested after she used pepper spray on a team of police and firemen at her rented condominium near Mont Kiara, Jalan Dutamas, on Friday.

In the 4.56pm incident, a team from Sri Hartamas fire station was deployed to the scene to help police to open a condominium unit.

This was after police received a report from the unit owners claiming that their tenant, an American woman, who was supposed to move out on Thursday, had pepper-sprayed them.

It was learnt that the house owners, a married couple, had gone to the unit with a locksmith to change the locks on the doors at 2.30pm.

However, when the couple tried to open the door, it was blocked from inside. After several attempts, the woman suddenly opened the door and sprayed the couple across their face which caused them to feel a sting in their eyes and skin.

Sentul police chief Assistant Commissioner R.Munusamy said shocked with the reaction of their tenant, the couple sought assistance from the police and the fire and rescue department.

“As soon as the police and firemen knocked on the door, the woman opened the door and sprayed all officers.

“A total of eight policemen and five firemen were affected and they were sent to Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL) for treatment,” he said in a statement today.

Munusamy said a police officer later managed to calm the woman and persuaded her to surrender.

“She admitted to spraying the officers. We also seized a spray bottle labelled “Bear Attack Pepper Mace” from the woman.

“She will be remanded under Section 324 of the Penal Code for voluntarily causing hurt,” he said, adding that police had informed the United States Embassy about the case.

Meanwhile, City Fire and Rescue Department chief Khirudin Drahman said his men who were affected by the pepper spray tried to wash off the chemical, but could not do so.

They were sent to HKL for treatment and received outpatient treatment.

“We handed over the case to police for investigation,” he said.