Domestic, Foreign Direct Investments In Malaysia Hits RM235.9 Billion Last Year

Domestic, Foreign Direct Investments In Malaysia Hits RM235.9 Billion Last Year

KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 26 (Bernama) — Domestic and foreign direct investments in Malaysia hit RM235.9 billion in 2014, up 7.52 per cent, from RM219.4 billion received in 2013, said International Trade and Industry Minister Datuk Seri Mustapa Mohamed.

Domestic Direct Investments (DDIs) accounted for RM171.3 billion or 72.6 per cent of total investments, a bulk of which was in the manufacturing, services and primary sector, while the remaining RM64.6 billion or 27.4 per cent came from foreign direct investments (FDIs).

In 2013, DDIs stood at RM159.94 billion while FDIs amounted to RM59.45 billion.

Mustapa said the country’s investment performance in 2014 exceeded the average annual investments target of RM148 billion set under the 10th Malaysia Plan.

The ratio of FDIs and DDIs was in line with the government’s drive to actively promote domestic investments, as outlined in the Economic Transformation Programme and the 10th Malaysia Plan, he said at a press conference to announce Malaysia’s investment performance here Thursday.

Total investments approved were in 5,942 projects which is estimated to generate about 178,360 job opportunities, many of which will be in high technology and high value-added industries.

“The services sector accounted for the largest share of total potential employment in the economy with 98,540 job opportunities or 55.3 per cent, followed by the manufacturing sector with 78,340 job opportunities (43.9 per cent) and primary sector with 1,480 employment opportunities (0.8 per cent),” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.