India confirms it sent request to extradite Zakir Naik in January last year

India confirms it sent request to extradite Zakir Naik in January last year

KUALA LUMPUR: The Indian government confirmed that it had made a formal request for the extradition of controversial Muslim preacher Zakir Naik.

It said the request was communicated to the Malaysian authorities in January last year.

Indian Foreign Affairs ministry spokesman Shri Raveesh Kumar confirmed this in an e-mail reply to newsportal Malaysiakini today.

“We sent the formal request to extradite Zakir Naik, who is an Indian citizen now residing in Malaysia, as he is wanted for a criminal case in India.

“Our request is still being considered by the Malaysian authorities,” he said, while referring to the extradition agreement signed by both countries in 2010.

The newsportal quoted Raveesh as saying that the Indian government was in close contact with their Malaysian counterparts over Zakir’s case.

He also noted that Zakir had obtained Malaysian permanent resident status.

It was reported that contradicting claims had emerged over whether the Indian authorities had made a formal extradition request to get Zakir back to his homeland.

Several Dap lawmakers said they had raised Zakir’s issue during Wednesday’s cabinet meeting.

Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad had previously said that Zakir could remain in the country, provided that he behaves, and that Putrajaya would not bow to pressure on his deportation.

Source:New Straits Times