Parliament: 402 Workers Killed At Construction Sites Between 2011 And Oct This Year

Parliament: 402 Workers Killed At Construction Sites Between 2011 And Oct This Year
KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 10 (Bernama) — A total of 402 workers in the construction sector were in accidents at construction sites between 2011 and October this year.

Deputy Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Abd Muttalib said another 594 workers sustained injuries during the same period.

He said the figures were based on reports received and investigated by the Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) under his ministry.

“From January to October this year, 55 workers were killed and 95 sustained injuries compared to 88 deaths and 148 injuries throughout last year.

“A total of six deaths involved non workers were reported and investigated by JKKP from 2013 to October this year,” he said when replying to an oral question from M. Kulasegaran (DAP-Ipoh Barat) at the Dewan Rakyat sitting here today.

Kulasegaran asked on the number of workers and non workers killed or injured when construction work was in progress and efforts undertaken to prevent such accidents.

Ismail said to increase safety and health level at construction sites, JKKP took several steps, among others, creating the Construction Site Enforcement Plan from last year which included additional enforcement activities at construction sites.

“In 2013, there were 7,329 inspections in the construction sectors and 9,822 last year,” he said.

JKKP also took punitive action against construction sites with 949 notices issued in 2013 and 6,211 notices last year.

He said JKKP also set up safety patrol units at every state to monitor construction sites and hold unscheduled enforcement operations based on public complaints.

— BERNAMA