Policy on 5G implementation to be tabled in Cabinet before end of first quarter 2023 – Fahmi
KOTA BHARU,. The policy on the implementation of the 5G network by Digital Nasional Berhad (DNB) will be tabled in the Cabinet before the end of the first quarter of this year, said Communications and Digital Minister Fahmi Fadzil.
Fahmi said he had met with the Ministry of Finance, telecommunication operators and DNB to get feedback on the matter.
“We still need a little more time to discuss the matter, we have received feedback from all parties and the Ministry of Communications and Digital (KKD) and the Ministry of Finance are currently looking into it.
“I expect that before the end of the first quarter of 2023, we will be able to present it to the cabinet and from there I believe the government will announce the policy on the implementation of the 5G network,” he told reporters after a meeting with KKD staff at the State Broadcasting Department, here yesterday.
Also present were Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) chief operating officer Datuk Mohd Ali Hanafiah Mohd Yunus and Malaysian National News Agency (Bernama) chief executive officer Roslan Ariffin.
DNB chief operating officer Nasution Mohamed was previously reported as saying that the implementation of 5G network coverage throughout the country has reached almost 50 per cent in populated areas as of the end of 2022, thus surpassing the initial target of 40 per cent.
In the meantime, Fahmi said discussions were underway to establish a communication control centre to overcome internet access issues in certain areas.
“During an audience with the Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Al-Sultan Abdullah Ri’ayatuddin Al-Mustafa Billah Shah last Wednesday, His Majesty talked about the internet access problems faced by the community in Kuala Boh, Cameron Highlands, Pahang.
“I have asked Deputy Minister of Communications and Digital Teo Nie Ching to work with MCMC to set up a communication control centre by identifying in advance areas that are facing Internet access problems,” he said.
On the data leak issue, Fahmi said KKD planned to table amendments to the Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (Act 709) in Parliament to better protect the personal data of all Malaysians.
He said the ministry was looking into tabling a Cabinet Ministers’ memorandum related to the matter and hoped it would be resolved this year.
Meanwhile, Fahmi reminded the public to verify the information that they receive before sharing the news with others which can be done through MyCheck Malaysia, a fact-checking initiative by Bernama at http://www.mycheck.my or MCMC’s Sebenarnya.my portal.
At the same time, Fahmi urged victims of cybercrimes to immediately contact the National Scam Response Centre (NSRC) at 997 so that further action can be taken by the authorities.
He said this when appearing as a guest in KELANTANfm’s Apa Khabar Ore Kelantan special segment with the Minister of Communications and Digital in conjunction with his working visit to the state, yesterday.
Fahmi also said that KKD would announce a new fixed-line broadband package soon.
Meanwhile, he said would hand over donations amounting to RM500,000 to flood-affected residents in the state.